14 April 2006

April Afghan Square - #1

I am going to have a drink & a lie down...I have sewn and cut my first steek:

I was wondering what the heck that sewing machine I had in the basement in a box was for. My mother got it for me a couple of years ago, and I had all these ambitious plans to actually *make* things. It languished on the dining room table for a month, collecting dust, and then moved to its permanent home on a shelf in the basement. It took me 15 minutes to even figure out how to use the thing - let's just say I have never taken a Home Ec class in my life. At any rate, I somehow managed to run a line down each side, and then *snip snip*! I don't think I'm actually going to *pull* on anything, but at least the worst is done. Just ignore the mistakes in the pattern at the bottom, I'll fix those when I finish off the border.

I thought it would be much more dramatic than it was, that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to cut it....surprisingly, it was pretty painless.

I'm still going to have a drink & a lie down, though - Elizabeth Zimmermann says so, so who am I to argue with an expert?

No comments: